Veggie Pot Pie....Utensil optional?

This is my quick and easy go to meal that everybody here asks for over and over again.  I try to make two at a time, since it's easy to make one for dinner and then freeze one for later.  I love how this comfort food is chalked full of yummy veggies.  Nothing like it on a crisp, Fall day!
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 8 ounces mushrooms
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 large carrots, diced
  • 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 2 stalks celery, sliced 1/4 inch wide
  • 2 cups cauliflower florets
  • 1 cup fresh green beans, trimmed and snapped into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 3 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 recipe pastry for double-crust pie (I make 2)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
  2. In a large saucepan, heat oil. Cook your veggies, I usually saute onions, mushrooms, and garlic for 3 to 5 minutes and then stir in carrots, potatoes, celery, cauliflower, green beans, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to a simmer. Cook until vegetables are barely tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
  3. In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch, soy sauce, and 1/4 cup water until cornstarch is completely dissolved. Stir into vegetables, and cook until sauce thickens, about 3 minutes.
  4. Roll out 1/2 of the dough to line pie plate. Pour the filling into the pastry lined dish. Roll out remaining dough, arrange over the filling, and seal and flute the edges (clearly I have not perfected this step)
  5. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until the crust is brown.



What I love about this recipe is that it's so easy to substitute the veggies you like or have on hand.  I've made it numerous ways and it's always come out well!  If you prefer the traditional kind, you can throw in some shredded chicken and/or omit some of the veggies.  

Yum!

Comments

  1. Oh m going to try this!! Looks and sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious. I love pot pie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ThaT looks delicious friend! YUM! I am trying this one and pinning it too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious! I've been wanting to try a veggie pot pie too! I will have to make this my cooking venture this week :)

    I reposted this comment with my little b account so if you see that a comment got deleted it was me lol :) I always forget which account I'm signed into! And I like leaving comments as little b :)

    Hope you're having a great night!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts