I need a drink...It's Retro Monday!

After browsing through countless old mags, I really enjoyed seeing the issues from the 50s and 60s, where life seemed very much home based.  It those days, It was clear the women's place was in the kitchen and raising her children.  Countless articles about how to cook the perfect meatloaf, get a fresher look with home remedies and keeping your man well fed and relaxed were prevalent.  There was even an article regarding how to keep the kids quiet and content when their father arrives home after a long day at work.  Of course, "she" has been home all day long with those children - never mind that, just pour hubby a drink and make sure the made-from-scratch dinner is ready and hot! 

The 70s mags, however, definitely reflect a "looser" time when people needed their entertainment and drinks.  The articles and ads reflect more convenience foods and recipes using starters.  The amount of liquor and cigarette ads in these magazines were astonishing.  Television advertising of hard liquor and cigarettes became illegal in April 1970 therefore, advertisers knew they needed to step up their print advertising!   




So advertising in the 50s and 60s centered around canned foods and keeping our complexions perfect.  The 70s brought booze and cigarettes.  Any guess what was most heavily advertised in the 80s and 90s?

Oh and if anybody knows what the heck a Pink Squirrel is, let me know.  It looks very....pink!

Happy Retro Monday my friends!  

Comments

  1. Where are you finding these magazines! Total riot! And I have no clue what a Pink Squirrel is...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Crazy ads. It's so fun to look back on the past. Strange how times have changed haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - it's a fun post for me to write - certainly nice not to be so "heavy" with all the news these days! Hope you are having a great day Tammy!

      Delete
    2. Well I'm on a mission then - it looks like it may include Pepto!

      Delete
  3. Pretty interesting for sure...we watch movies from the 30's and 40's and everyone smokes like a chimney and drinks like a fish in them! My mom was from that time and would talk about how practically everyone smoked. Pretty crazy!! Thanks for sharing your retro Monday...and I've no idea what a pink squirrel is!! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so interesting to see how times have changed. Those poor people never knew how dangerous smoking was! But, everybody did!!!

      Delete
  4. I'm loving your Retro Mondays! Sometimes I truly think I was suppose to be born in a different time. Mostly the 40's. :) And Sophia is loving watching I Love Lucy lately. So funny!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts