Insect Pest Spray

I haven't had pests in the garden...yet but, I'm told it's a matter of time.  I've heard stories about cucumber beetles and squash bugs and I just want to be prepared *IF* they decide to raise a cucumber beetle family in my garden.  I started looking at the bug sprays out there and none of them leave me with the warm and fuzzies.  I don't like the idea of spraying something but then again, I want to protect our produce.  I came across a recipe from Organic Gardening and it seemed to be a better alternative and a way to at least deter these guys from procreating on my produce! 
Directions:
  • Chop, grind, or liquefy one garlic bulb and one small onion.
  • Add 1 teaspoon of powdered cayenne pepper and mix with 1 quart of water.
  • Steep 1 hour, strain through cheesecloth, then add 1 tablespoon of liquid dish soap to the strained liquid; mix well.
  • Spray your plants thoroughly, including leaf undersides.
  • Store the mixture for up to 1 week in a labeled, covered container in the refrigerator.
Get ready before they inhabit your space!  Read more on this recipe here and good luck in "the fight!"
 
I'm ready for an "attack"...it hasn't happenned until now but, it's time!

Comments

  1. I bet you will have a couple years before bugs realize you have such a lovely garden space! Or maybe they will skip you altogether and decide to just hang out in my garden for all eternity :-) I have used food grade diatomaceous earth with good results, but you have to put it out a lot because the water washes it away. Good luck avoiding the bugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you are ready if they do invade! It's great to be prepared before anything happens. I really should make up a batch of this myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you don't have reason to use this, and that the pests leave your veggies alone, but.... if you do use it, can you let us know how it worked for you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it bad that I have NO IDEA what is going on in my garden? Ha! I'm sure I need this pest spray - I love things like this that are natural and home made!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts