Ice Suncatchers: Winter Crafts

We are slowly warming up around here but last week, we had some of the coldest temperatures I can remember.  A couple of years ago, when we felt 80 degree temps in March.  Don't get me wrong, I don't expect that sort of warmth but last week was brutal.  The type of cold where your nose stings when you walk outside and Sydney was on the verge of tears because her "cheeks hurt" after picking her sister up from school. 
When it's that cold, there isn't much you can do.  Just too cold to play outside and after the kiddos have been cooped up for days, I find myself searching for new craft ideas to keep them happy.   I grabbed The Rhythm of Family, which is divided into monthly sections and decided to attempt their Ice Suncatchers.  Such a pretty and special craft that not only reminds us of how beautufil our season can be and how in fact, there are plenty of wonderful things to do in the cold weather! 
Items Needed:
  • Pie plate or bundt pan
  • little pieces of nature (we quickly collected pinecones, berries and pine needles and sliced lemons but oranges work well too!)
  • Strong string
To Do:
  • Gather your materials.  Fill the pan with water 1/3 of the way and place outside to freeze.  We placed a cup in the center to ensure a circle would allow the wreath shape.
  • When the water is frozen, bring it inside and layer your pieces of nature throughout and fill the container the rest of the way.  Place outside for the rest to freeze.
  • Once frozen, remove the wreath and hang from a place where you can enjoy it.  Ours is right outside our kitchen slider, we can enjoy the sun beaming through it while we are eating breakfast or having our after school snacks. 
They really are beautiful to look at and the girls have ideas for their next ones.  I'm looking forward to watching them melt!

Check out more wonderful ideas, inspiration and while enjoying the amazing blog, Soule Mama. 

Linking up today over at The Chicken Chick - come check out what others have been up to!

Comments

  1. Gorgeous! I have never seen this craft before. So simple, but elegant. I would love to do this with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you can use anything and that its Natire made :)

      Delete
  2. What a fun project your sun catchers will be when we have another snow day. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You!! We are cold here too and this is just what I need to cheer my boys up.
    You did a great job. I love how they turned out.

    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jess, these are so pretty! Your girls did a fabulous job! We are in a bit of a "thaw" right now, so I am going to keep an eye out for any pine cones to make one myself.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts