Sleepover Mat DIY (Easy Crafts)

I hope you guys are having a great week! We hit 64° here yesterday which is a stark contrast from last week at this time, when we were getting another foot of snow! I know I've talked a lot about the weather here but it seems like a crazy Winter!
Today I wanted to share a simple sleepover mat or nap mat that I quickly made last week. My girls loved it! If you have kids, this is a great, easy craft - especially if they go to a lot of sleepovers or your kids just like to lounge around. Let's be real here, what kid doesn't like to lounge around?
I saw something similar on amazon but didn't want to spend the money and thought I might be able to make something similar and it was easier than I thought!
Supplies -
  • 4 or 5 pillowcases (depending on your desired length)
  • 4 or 5 pillows
  • Thread
  • Needle or sewing machine
  • Or Hot Glue

  1. Simply line your pillow cases up, with the opening for your pillows on the left.
  2. Stitch each pillow case to the next, along the top.
  3. Continue until you have one long mat.
  4. Insert your pillows

What I love about these is that they're durable, and can easily be washed by removing the pillows. You can roll them up and store them, similar to a sleeping bag. My girls also fold them to make squishy chairs.
A couple of tips:
I actually found some decent pillowcases at Dollar Tree. Not the best quality but cute patterns and perfectly fine for this purpose. You can also find pillows at Target for about two dollars a piece. Since this was an experiment and for kids, I wasn't particularly concerned about having the best quality. These worked really well, we're comfortable and cozy. As an alternative to sewing the pillowcases together, you can use hot glue although it won't be quite as durable and may break down over time.
My girls enjoy having sleepovers in one another's rooms on the weekends and especially over school vacations. This was most certainty a hit!

Comments

  1. These are so cute! What a fun and simple idea that is truly practical! Did all of your snow melt with those warm temps? I'm loving the weather lately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever! I bet the girls loved their sleepover time on these :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really great idea. I am sure we'll need something like this in our future. I'm glad it looks simple enough, even for someone like me that isn't too savvy with a sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fun idea. I like the colors too.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cute, what a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts