Christmas cards....and the quest to create the perfect one

It's always the same, every year.....trying to get "the perfect" holiday card picture. I see smiling families of 4...12....20 family members, sitting still, looking flawless and wonder how the models can look that good, forget a family of 4 toddlers, a baby and the rest. Seriously, how hard could that be? It looks so easy!

So yesterday when I said to my 5 year old, "We're going to take our Christmas card picture today!" she let out a deep, strong, sigh and said, "Oh no!" Then, she proceeded to start mumbling about last year and how bad it was with her baby sister (then 6 month). "This will be easier this year. She isn't as little. She isn't as fragile. It will only take a couple of minutes!" I said. First they changed into their outfits, that went smoothly enough. I sat them in front of our tree and started snapping pictures (thank goodness for digital! Within seconds, the baby wiggled and grabbed for my camera, my 5 year old gave concerned and forced smiles. This went on for about 15 minutes. Candy canes were flung, ornaments smashed, I believe my little "bird" attempted to take a bath in our Christmas tree stand at one point. I started getting irritated and then stopped. The stress of the photo shoot was enough for anybody to say, "Bah Humbug!" I kept snapping away until I thought, "Enough!" One of these pictures would work - it would have to! What else would capture the reality of my family, the craziness and absolute wonder of it all? We decided to read a Christmas story and remember what Christmas is all about - not about what we think is the perfect holiday or the right way to reflect our family. No, we aren't perfect but we are who we are - silly,IMperfect and beautiful!

Later that evening, after the girls were tucked in, I was going through my photos and I found "THE PERFECT" picture that was taken in the excitement of it all - right in a candid moment and I can't imagine anything more perfect than that!

Hope everybody is enjoying their holiday season.

Comments

  1. I know all too well the chaos of getting the *perfect* photo - but yours turned out great! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts