Barefoot by the Sea: Christmas cards....and the quest to create the perfect one

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Christmas cards....and the quest to create the perfect one

It's always the same, every year.....trying to get "the perfect" holiday card picture. I see smiling families of 4...12....20 family members, sitting still, looking flawless and wonder how the models can look that good, forget a family of 4 toddlers, a baby and the rest. Seriously, how hard could that be? It looks so easy!

So yesterday when I said to my 5 year old, "We're going to take our Christmas card picture today!" she let out a deep, strong, sigh and said, "Oh no!" Then, she proceeded to start mumbling about last year and how bad it was with her baby sister (then 6 month). "This will be easier this year. She isn't as little. She isn't as fragile. It will only take a couple of minutes!" I said. First they changed into their outfits, that went smoothly enough. I sat them in front of our tree and started snapping pictures (thank goodness for digital! Within seconds, the baby wiggled and grabbed for my camera, my 5 year old gave concerned and forced smiles. This went on for about 15 minutes. Candy canes were flung, ornaments smashed, I believe my little "bird" attempted to take a bath in our Christmas tree stand at one point. I started getting irritated and then stopped. The stress of the photo shoot was enough for anybody to say, "Bah Humbug!" I kept snapping away until I thought, "Enough!" One of these pictures would work - it would have to! What else would capture the reality of my family, the craziness and absolute wonder of it all? We decided to read a Christmas story and remember what Christmas is all about - not about what we think is the perfect holiday or the right way to reflect our family. No, we aren't perfect but we are who we are - silly,IMperfect and beautiful!

Later that evening, after the girls were tucked in, I was going through my photos and I found "THE PERFECT" picture that was taken in the excitement of it all - right in a candid moment and I can't imagine anything more perfect than that!

Hope everybody is enjoying their holiday season.

1 comment:

  1. I know all too well the chaos of getting the *perfect* photo - but yours turned out great! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Designed by Delxue Designs