Give us a CHEAP quiche...

Or a fritatta or a strata.  We love eggs around here - cheap economical, easy and full of protein.  Here's one of the recipes that we've used a lot lately.  Sort of a strata, it's adapted from an old recipe I had.  The girls really enjoy it and best of all, have taken over the kitchen whenever we decide to prepare one.  Dinner and my own personal chef?  I can dig it!

Ingredients
6 eggs
1 cup of the cheese of your choice (I mix it up, if I want an Mexican inspired one, I might take colby jack and cheddar, for a more Italian inspired, mozzarella)
Veggies of your choice (again, if I'm doing Mexican, I chop up peppers, onions, black olives, jalapeno peppers, etc.  If I do Italian, we often use tomatoes and basil.  They don't have to be fresh, in the pictures below I used frozen)
2 pieces of whole wheat bread, ripped apart and put together like a puzzle.  Great job for the kids!
olive oil or cooking spray
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Coat bottom of your pie plate with cooking spray or oil to prevent sticking
Place your bread on the bottom of the pan (note, it's normal to have spaces, it still holds together)
Whisk eggs together, add veggies and cheese (if it seems too lumpy for your taste, you can add a little milk or salsa)
Pour egg mixture over your crust
Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes

Comments

  1. Looks so delicious! Thanks for sharing this great recipe! I am sure to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good! Great idea. I just may be trying that this weekend!

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. thanks for the follow...got you back! :)

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. you so need to do meal plans for me! lol... this looks fantastic!

    hugs! Kim @ http://frostmeblog.blogspot.com
    party inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! Well now I know what I am going with the broccoli we got in the CSA this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will definitely be trying this recipe out! YUM!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts