Cherry Breakfast Swirl....thank you Farm Chicks

With two kids, we debated on going out to breakfast New Year's Eve.  Instead, we decided to enjoy a low key morning with good coffee and a festive dessert would be a great way to celebrate the end of 2011.  I grabbed The Farm Chicks in the Kitchen and was torn between a few scrumptious recipes, including Nancy's Nutmeg Coffee Cake.  In the end I decided on the Cherry Breakfast Swirl.  Rich, sweet and moist - this was the perfct way to celebrate the start of the new year.  I wouldn't make it just for any 'ol day because it's rich and special.  I would, however, recommend making it when a group of friends are together because it is one of those treats you appreciate and can overinduldge in (not that I would ever do such a thing). 

Cherry Breakfast Swirl
Makes 20 Servings
Working Time 25 Minutes
Total Time 55 Minutes

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
4 large eggs
3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 21 ounce can cherry pie filling
1/2 cup sliced almonds

First, prepare your batter - Heat the oven to 350 degrees.  Butter or coat your large jelly roll pan.  Cream the sugar with the butter in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy.  Beat in the vanilla and almond extracts and the eggs.  Reduce the mixer speed to medium-low and beat in the flour and baking powder just until blended.

Bake the cake - Spread two-thirds of the batter in the prepared pan, the batter will look insufficient and spread thinly.  Then, using the back of the spoon, flatten each little mound of the batter just a bit.  Sprinkle on the sliced almonds.  Bake until the cake is lightly browned - 28-30 minutes.  Serve warm or at room temperature.  Store in the pan, covered with plastic wrap, up to 3 days. 

Eat a piece, enjoy and then get to the gym.
Thank you Farm Chicks, you do not disappoint!
Be sure to check out Serena's blog for more fabulous inspiration, tips and recipes.  Did somebody say DONUT BITES? 

Comments

  1. Yum! This looks delicious! I love this idea! I wonder how it would be with the frozen strawberries I have...maybe if i made a strawberry compote. I love when you post recipes because it gives me lots of other ideas as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. O that looks so yummy! I think we might try that tomorrow morning!!! New fan from http://4MyKiddos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. New follower via Blog Hop!

    I'm not a cherry fan, but I bet blueberry would work well in this recipe too! It looks fantastic.

    Brooke
    http://cupcakecucumber.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! New follower via blog hop. Thanks for stopping by McKinney Mommas!
    http://www.mckinneymommas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness this looks delicious! I was having one of those mornings where nothing sounded good for breakfast, but this would have been fantastic! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmm... that looks so amazingly delicious. I envy moms like you who can bake.. I'm not very good at it.. I end up burning it or hurting myself :) following you now from the hop.

    ~MiaB
    www.mamamiasheart2heart.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. are you even serious? this looks INSANE.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious!! I wanted to grab a slice right from my computer screen! Definitely on the list to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm. This looks so yummy! Thanks for stopping by and following my blog. I am your newest follower.

    http://ddsdailydose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jessica, thanks for joining the communal breakfast party! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Jessica. I saw this link on Carole's Chatter along with the puffed pancake link. I was wondering, next time you make either of these for breakfast, could I come over? :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts