Barefoot by the Sea: Whole Living & Beet Salad

Friday, April 20, 2012

Whole Living & Beet Salad

I've always been health concious but over the past few years, I've read more information that's supported the need to incorporate a whole foods diet.  Granted, I'm not there yet.  I absolutely enjoy indulging and will not pass up a gourmet pizza or ice cream from my favorite place.  However, I'm a firm believer that if you can be good 90% of the time, the other 10% I can indulge a bit more.  Plus, the better I eat, the better I feel and less I seem to want to indulge.  Recently, I tested out a few recipes from the latest issue of Whole Living.  They have a 3 day Spring "Cleaning" detox which I didn't do however, I did test out their beet salad recipe.  It was quite tasty and left me feeling full and satisfied.  
They also suggested a few snacks that were tasty and filling - including their frozen banana with shaved almonds on top and Apple with Tahini.  I find that as long as I'm feeling satisfied, I'm avoiding processed foods and sugar.  

The salad I tried - and ate for the week incorporated beets, celery, English cucumber, arugula, scallions, unsalted sesame seeds, lemon juice, olive oil and pepper.  It was a bit of a chore to prepare and a lot to chew which (all psychological of course) helped me slow down a bit.  
Now, there is no way I'm avoiding my ice cream this weekend but it did feel good to have a big, healthy bowl of greens to enjoy at lunch.  I also love the fact that my kids know what a variety of veggies are these days.  At the grocery store the other day a young boy was pointing to a green, oval shape saying, "Ewwwww.....what's that Mom?"  Her response, "I'm not sure honey, nothing we're getting!" 
(It was an avocado)

We owe it to our children to provide and introduce them to healthy fruits and veggies.  I know that avocados can be pricy but I was just shocked that neither he or the mother knew what it was and had no interest in finding out. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed by Delxue Designs