Birthday Cake for Dad!

My husband's birthday was this past Tuesday.  He is a huge cake lover.  We decided to make him one from scratch and try out a new recipe.  The girls both were happy to help and are fascinated with the mixer.  I love that thing, by the way!  Makes life so much easier!
French Yogurt Cake! 
  • Nonstick vegetable oil spray
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting (I used King Arthur, my favorite!)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
  • 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • large eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 8 1/2 x 4 1/4-inch loaf pan 
  • Preheat oven to 350°. Coat pan with vegetable oil spray. Dust with flour
  • Whisk 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl
  • Rub sugar with lemon zest in a large bowl until sugar is moist. Add yogurt, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract; whisk to blend. Fold in dry ingredients just to blend
  • Pour batter into prepared pan; smooth top. Bake until top of cake is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean, about 55 minutes. 
  • Let cake cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. 
Top with your favorite frosting (we used buttercream and it was rich).  The girls helped decorate! 
Hey, I didn't say I was a pastry chef, we were just trying a new recipe!

Comments

  1. yum! you use a lot of yogurt in your recipes, and I have never used it past smoothies. I will have to start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was skeptical at first but have liked the results. I think it replaces.....butter/some oil and gives it a rich taste. Plus even though I'm in the dairy fence, I like the added health benefits of the Greek yogurt!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts