It's all about the Presentation...

Don't you think?  I've noticed that my children get very excited about food if it's made to be a little more appealing.  Fruit and yogurt parfaits are instant desserts when I put them in ice cream sundae cups, stir fry is a thrill when served with chopsticks and hummus sandwiches are more likely to be eaten when cut into shapes.  Making meals and snacks that your family will love is very important, especially since the cost of food is getting more expensive too! 

Here are a couple fun menu ideas that my kids love:

Make Your Own Rice and Bean sundaes, I got this recipe from my friend, Holly from Into Ablivia..
Rice (we use brown but white works too)
Beans (black, pinto, whatever you like best!)
Salsa
Guacamole
Veggies (Tomatoes, lettuce, onions, olives, corn)
Cheese
Sour Cream or Plain Greek Yogurt with Lemon (you know I use Chobani!)
Tortilla Chips (optional)

Simply put everything out in "salad bar" style....hand your kids a bowl or we use sundae cups.  Have them start with the rice, beans and go from there.  It's a really fun way to get your kids building and eating their creations.  I find they are more likely to enjoy it if they've taken part in the preperation.

Make Your Own Yogurt Parfaits
Yogurt
Granola
Chopped Nuts
Fruit (bananas, strawberries, pineapple, blueberries, anything goes!)
Coconut (optional)
Chocolate chips (optional)

Same idea as above, set everything up "salad bar style".  Have them start with their yogurt and go from there.  We use anything we have on hand and the kids love making their own creations!

What do you do to make your kids snacks and meals more exciting?

Speaking of cooking with kids...be sure to head over to Healthy Appetites!  My friend, Alyssa has tons of great recipes she's sharing and great information about raising healthy kids who love healthy food!  

Comments

  1. I totally agree! I think this goes for husbands as well :) I can get my husband to eat almost anything if it looks good! I've heard lots of people say "we eat with our eyes first" so I think presentation is key. I can see how it would help a lot with getting kids to eat their food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, thanks for linking this in. It's very good advice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts