Craft Camp, Day One

I was thrilled to be able to offer an Arts and Crafts camp this Summer at my home.  I have always loved to do crafts with my own kids and thought this would be an excellent opportunity to work with others and share our love of Arts and Crafts.  It was a wonderful mini camp and I got a taste of what working with a great group of girls was all about.  Our camp ran for three days, the week of July 1st.  We did two crafts each day and made and shared a healthy snack together.  We also did a few "get to know you exercises and confidence building exercises along with an impromptu dance party here and there.  I also kept an "extra" craft on hand in case we were ahead of schedule - timing can be difficult to guesstimate but overall, the girls were busy and had a great time over the three days. 
 
This week I'll be sharing some of the things we did.  My goal was for the girls to make friends, have fun, share laughs, good food and learn.  The week started and each girl received a wooden name tag.  They were excited but quiet little campers.  I had questions to pass around including, "What is your favorite sport", "What is your favorite ice cream flavor" and "What are you looking forward to this Summer most" to break the ice.  Each girl was eager to answer and it really started some fun conversations. 
Our first craft and theme on Monday was Buttons and Butterflies!  I printed out a grayscale butterfly on cardstock for each of the girls and provided them with glue and their choice of buttons.  Some were bright neon colors, pastels or sherbert, like the ones below.
Each girl carefully attached their buttons to the butterflies.  They worked carefully and the finished products were quite pretty! 
We completed each with a simple frame.
I made simple butterfly cookies and each girl decorated them with strawberry cream cheese or lemon curd and topped them with strawberries, raspberries and blueberries.
After this craft we made button hairpins and flower hairpins.  The girls who finished that in enough time also made button covered headbands, they came out really cute. 
 
Day One was a hit!  Stay tuned to find out what we did on Day Two on Wednesday! At the end of the camp, several girls said that the button butterflies were their very favorite craft!
 
Linking up over at Blog She.  Come join the fun!

Comments

  1. Very fun! I love the button butterfly! My kids love my button jar. Mainly dumping out and sorting though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you were able to finally do craft camp!! so so fun and I love your craft and I want a cookie. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so awesome that you did this for the girls! What a great idea. I love the theme, too! The butterflies with the buttons glued on turned out so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at you! What a fun idea....and I am SURE everyone had a blast! Can't wait to see what else you did....I'm sure it was all equally creative and adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so cute. I especially like the butterfly cookie (go figure!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Thanks for join my blog hop. love the idea , so cute.
    Nan
    www.blogshe.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Buttons are such a great craft item. Love your project and the follow-up butterfly snack, too. Thanks so much for sharing it on Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop. Please come back again next week! :)
    Blessings,
    Sinea
    Ducks ‘n a Row

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts