31 Days of Holiday: Apple Pear Blueberry Crisp

Isn't it funny how a certain food or dish will evoke memories for you? 
As a child, I remember the Fall being apple crisp season! My mom used to make it on the weekends and I absolutely loved it and still do to this day! I love the way the top was all crunchy-crispy and the apples under just deliciously tart, perfectly counteracting the oatmeal, sugary and nutty goodness of my Mom's topping. It's a dish that I still (beg) request she make, because after all, sometimes nobody can come close to the way Mom does it!  I hope there are certain things that I make that my children will always request from me.  I think that in a way, those things allow you to escape back to a memory or a time in your childhood.  Some recipes are just that special!

Certainly not up to the challenge of competing with my Mom's warm apple crisp, I decided to bake something a little different but along the same idea.  Apple Pear Blueberry Crisp is a delicious dessert to serve warm on a chilly Fall evening. Topped with whipped cream or ice cream…it is a delicious indulgence!  I think it's perfect for a family gathering or as an alternative to pie on Thanksgiving, we absolutely love this dish!

Ingredients
  • 2 Macintosh apples, peeled, cored and cubed
  • 2 Pears, peeled, cored and cubed
  • 1/2 cup blueberries
  • 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
  • 1/4 cup butter
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease an 8 inch baking dish
  2. Mix apples, pears, blueberries, 1 tablespoon flour, honey and lemon juice in prepared dish
  3. In a bowl, mix 1/2 cup flour, brown sugar, oats and butter until they are crumbly.  Sprinkle loosly over the fruit mixture
  4. Bake 45 minutes or until brown and crispy on the top.
  5. Enjoy
For more of the 31 Days challenge, visit my main page here and hope to see you back tomorrow!

Comments

  1. I love crisps! Mainly I like the crisp topping...but that is besides the point. This looks delicious! And I have quite a few apples to use up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure wish I had more fall food nostalgia but not much if that going on in the desert :( The foods that bring back memories of my childhood are lots and lots of citrus and stone fruits ;) I love the mix of fruits I this crisp (my favorite dessert)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks and sounds perfect!!! Here is a little known fact for you... I am afraid of pears! I always remembered the canned ones my grandmother would serve, and I just can't get past it. I need to though, and want to! I think with all the flavors and textures you have going on, this would be the perfect way for me to take a step at moving past my fear and accepting that pears are good! Putting pears on the shopping list for the weekend :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts