31 Days of Holiday: We're Talking Costumes...Again!

One of the things that I love so much about Halloween is that it's a day when you can be someone or something else.  Over the years I've seen costumes get incredibly expensive and while the fairy princesses do look magical, we are talking a costume FOR ONE DAY people!  One day!  Maybe a couple more if your child is into dress up.  I just feel like it's easy to go overboard in this area. It sort reminds me of that "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality when it comes to kids extravagant birthday celebrations. I mean, has anyone ever been turned away from a door for not having the most expensive costume on the block? Probably not!

There are some easy and wonderful options for costumes all around!  Here's a list of a few favorites:

eBay:  If you're looking for a particular costume or theme, you can search by subject and scroll through literally thousands of listings my size and item!  You can score some great deals for these items!

Thrift Stores:  These usually have a great selection of costumes from years past.  I would opt to steer clear of hats and wigs just to be on the safe side but you will likely score a deeply discounted item and it's fun to dig through the options!  While making a donation the other day I spotted a brand new Superman costume that would make some little guy super excited!

Make your own!  I noticed a lot stores have workshops happening right now so check our what's going on in your area!  I know Jo-Ann Stores around here are hosting a "Make a Frozen costume" class so be sure to check stores like that to find the options in your area! Don't forget to bring your coupons before you go, most websites have printable coupons these days for Hobby Lobby, Michaels, AC Moore and Jo-Ann Fabrics!

Get creative!  Sometimes simple costumes work just as well and are as fun as the extravagant ones!  I love putting a few extra hours into something that will make my kids smile.  It doesn't have to be complicated and if you aren't sure where to start, YouTube has tons of tutorials and ideas.

As always, thanks for checking out my 31 Days posts!  You can see the entire month right here!

Comments

  1. My mom always made our costumes growing up. I would love to be able to do that too, but I am not the seamstress she is. SO I purchase ours...and they get worn out because our kids prefer to be dressed in costumes over most everything else :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts