Black Bean Salad

I'm glad to see that we are living in an age when the divide between "kids meals" and "adult meals" is more narrow.  When I had my first, I never really thought of feeding my child differently than myself. From an early age, my children were enjoying all sorts of food that I enjoy, including avocados, beans, fruits, hummus and vegetables. They continue their love of food and desire fresh, delicious tastes. They love all sorts of food, including Mexican, Italian, Thai and Indian.  That's not to say my youngest doesn't enjoy a bowl of macaroni and cheese, she loves it. They enjoy treats too. They also enjoy plenty of classic "kid food" but I am glad they choose fresh flavors and cuisine. They are healthy and I'm proud of the choices they make to fuel their bodies.

One of our favorite salads around here is this delicious black bean salad.  My kids beg for it and I'm thrilled they're eager to have a fresh and yummy salad. I blogged about a similar recipe years ago and this one is along the same lines but it's worth repeating especially as the warmer weather comes and you're looking for an easy weeknight salad or healthy option to bring to a potluck.
Black Bean Salad 
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 cup diced orange bell pepper
  • 3/4 cup diced fresh tomato
  • 1/2 cup corn kernels
  • 1/3 cup diced English cucumber
  • 3 green onions, sliced thin
  • 1 jalapeno, deseeded and minced
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
  • the juice of 1 lime
  • 1/2 grapeseed oil
  • 2 – 3 dashes cumin
  • 2 – 3 dashes coriander
  • salt and pepper to taste
  1. Combine the beans, bell pepper, tomato, corn, cucumber, green onion, jalapeno, and cilantro in a medium bowl. Stir until ingredients are well distributed.
  2. In another bowl, combine the lime juice, oil, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper. Pour over the bean mixture, tossing to combine. Chill until serving time.
  3. Top with avocado
Have a great weekend my friends!  MAY 15th, half way through! 

Comments

  1. Oh that sounds so yummy! I've made something similar for summer parties. I love that you can totally customize it. That's great about your kids being such healthy eaters!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so lucky that your girls are not picky eaters. My kids ate everything when they were babies and toddlers but somehow, they got pretty set in their ways. But we do okay now. Your salad recipe looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ~
    I love how you added cucumber. I just love English cucumbers.
    Yum!
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious flavor combination... Just screams summer to me! I haven't tried grapeseed oil yet. I need to get that on my must try list. Thanks for sharing your recipe with us!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts