Lentil Sloppy Joes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 3/4 cup ketchup we use Sir Kensingtons
- 1 3/4/cups water
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in frying pan over medium-high heat. Saute onion, pepper, and oregano until onion is translucent and pepper is soft, about 6 minutes.
- Deglaze with red wine vinegar. Add , water, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Add lentils and mix well.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, and cover. Continue cooking for about 30 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Cook until lentils are soft but still hold their shape. Be careful to not overcook.
These were flavorful, hearty and delicious. So good that I had to share! Plus, I had a night off from cooking which is always a win!