Pizza Rolls: Easy Recipes

January is one of those months where we can easily feel the affects of the food rut. Am I alone here? The girls in particular are tired of their regular sandwiches and usual lunchbox fare. I'm always looking to keep it fresh and new but it's easier said than done. It's hard keeping lunchboxes innovative, healthy and delicious so I do try to mix it up. 
One item that I tend to include when the girls are tired of the usual suspects are Pizza Rolls. Basically a modified calzone/muffin, these little rolls are perfectly portioned and taste just like pizza. I like to stuff ours full of veggies and the girls always enjoy them. 

Pizza Rolls

  • Pizza Dough - make your favorite or I use Trader Joes dough
  • Veggies - I use a mix of broccoli, onions, green peppers but anything goes! 
  • Tomato sauce
  • Garlic
  • Cheese/pepperoni (optional)
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. Roll dough and divide in half
  3. Over medium heat, sauté veggies, sauce, garlic and herbs to soften, about 6-8 minutes. Allow to cool
  4. On each piece of dough, distribute veggies in the center of each.
  5. Add cheese/pepperoni if desired and distribute evenly
  6. Take one side of dough and pull across to cover veggies mixture. 
  7. Then take opposite side and so the same 
  8. Now, cut these into pieces 
  9. On a prepared muffin tin, place each piece so that the inside is facing up
  10. Do this for the rest of your pieces 
  11. Bake for 20 minutes 
  12. Allow to cool and enjoy
These are huge hits in the lunchbox! The girls don't mind that they eat them cold. Definitely a welcome escape from PB & J! 

Comments

  1. These pizza rolls look really good. I think my fam would love them. I'd say we are in a food rut too. I'm hoping to have a kitchen garden soon and I can't wait to have my own salad veggies and herbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am craving fresh veggies and our garden season! Not too long for you!

      Delete
  2. Yum! Looks delicious! I would never think to put them in a muffin tin, but that sounds like a good idea. Can you freeze them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't tried - they go quick. I feel like they might get soggy, but maybe it would work?

      Delete
  3. Looks tasty. You always have great recipes. I will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always you come up with fun, fun recipes.
    Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun bite to eat! I really love this, and as always am jealous of your Trader Joe's food items :)
    I might try this with those pizza toppings I used a while ago, the mandarin orange, spinach, etc. Feeling inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That recipe would work so well in here! I'll have to try that too!

      Delete
  6. You're making me hungry this morning! When's lunch? We get in a rut too. I usually pack salad for Miss High School but today she asked for a veggie sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My girls aren't big on sandwiches so I do try to mix it up. The ruts are inevitable though!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts