All that to say, I'm always searching for an easy weeknight dinner that will please everyone that will be easy on time and money. Welcome Spaghetti Pie! I whipped this up quickly the other day and the kids loved it. This dish is warm and comforting after a long day. I originally found this recipe over it Weelicious and modified it so that everyone in my house could enjoy it. I made this without cheese but it was simple enough to top my husbands with a little parmesan after it had been baked. I love that this is a one dish meal, are used whole wheat pasta, a lower sodium spaghetti sauce, veggies and lots of Italian herbs. The egg adds extra protein so you get a little bit everything in this dish! The fact that it took me a little time to prepare it and only 30 minutes to bake? It's a win-win!
Veggie Spaghetti Pie
- 8 ounces spaghetti, cooked, about 1/2 package
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 shallots, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon italian herbs
- 1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- 2. Place the cooked spaghetti in a bowl and coat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- 3. Add the eggs to spaghetti and stir to mix well.
- 4. Place the spaghetti mixture into a greased deep-dish pie plate and spread to make a “pie crust”.
- 5. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the garlic, onions, red bell peppers, carrots and celery and sauté for 5 minutes, until soft.
- 6. Pour the tomato sauce over the vegetables and stir to combine.
- 7. Spread the vegetable mixture and finally, top the italian herbs
- 9. Place dish on a sheet pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- 10. Cool, cut into wedges and serve.
- 11. Top with parmesan cheese if desired.
- Enjoy your weekend!