APPLES and some Apple Chicken Stew!

Here are some recent pics of our first trip to the orchard.  It was a glorious Fall day, with temperatures well into the 80s!  We had a lovely morning exploring, picking and of course, eating!  

This trip was all about the first apples - we only got one bag but we'll be going back shortly for more to eat and bake with.  I'm hoping for a lot of apple muffins, apple sauce and of course apple crisp (our favorite!)   I'm also really looking forward to some Apple Chicken Stew after a day at the farm!  

Ingredients

  • 4 medium potatoes, cubed
  • 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
  • 1 medium red onion, halved and sliced
  • 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
  • 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
  • 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
  • 1 large tart apple, peeled and cubed
  • 1 1/4 cups apple cider or apple juice
  • 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Minced fresh parsley

Directions

  1. In a slow cooker, layer potatoes, carrots, onion and celery. Combine salt, thyme, pepper and caraway; sprinkle half over vegetables. In a skillet, saute chicken in oil until browned; transfer to slow cooker. Top with apple. Combine apple cider and vinegar; pour over chicken and apple. Sprinkle with remaining salt mixture. Top with bay leaf.
  2. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until vegetables are tender and chicken juices run clear. Discard bay leaf. Stir before serving. Sprinkle with parsley.


It always amazes me that a trip to the farm NEVER GETS OLD around here.  The girls take it all in and I stand back and watch - and wish I could freeze these special moments in time.  

Comments

  1. That sounds like an interesting recipe...I wonder if I an make it with beans instead of chicken...might have to try that this weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds awesome!! What a neat twist to add apples. I think I' going to have to try this- I have a ton of apple trees!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love going to the apple orchard! I can't wait to go on a cool fall day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts