A few good eggs!

We are a huge fan of eggs around here.  Such a great, inexpensive, sustainable and delicious source of food, we eat them a few times a week.  Since Easter has just past and many of us have eggs still hanging around our house, I figured I'd share one of my favorite egg salad recipes.  First, let me say that eggs that have been un refrigerated for more than 2 hours are not good to eat so, if you have colored eggs at home that have been laying around the house, it's best to save them for decorative purposes and toss 'em.  But, if you have some extra eggs in your refrigerator, whip up one of these....
(photo credit: source)

A Gourmet Egg Salad Sandwich (recipe makes 8 sandwiches)

Ingredients:
8 strips bacon, halved
12 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
3 celery ribs, chopped
3/4 cup mayonnaise (I substitute 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt and 1/4 cup mayonnaise)
1/2 cup chopped pimento stuffed olives
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
8 lettuce leaves
16 slices rye or county-style bread
Directions:
Cook bacon in a heavy skillet, turning occasionally, until browned and crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer bacon to paper towels to cool.
Chop eggs and stir together in a bowl with celery, mayonnaise, olives, pepper, and salt.
Make sandwiches with bread, lettuce, reserved bacon, and egg salad.
I also enjoy a good egg salad with chopped dill pickle, chives and arugula on pumpernickel bread or grapes and almonds on whole wheat.  Oh and I prefer my sandwiches on toasted bread and I have the need for very finely chopped egg - no white chunks for this girl!  
Do you have a favorite way of preparing and eating your egg salad?  I'd love to hear any suggestions!  


Comments

  1. This looks delicious! And I am dreaming of all the fresh eggs we will have this fall from our little ladies. I make my egg salad pretty basic with mayo/dijon mustard/celery salt/pepper :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like the perfect sandwich. I eat egg salad at least once a week for lunch. I'm def putting bacon on it next time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts