Maple Coconut Oat Bars

I've written about this before but I'm always trying to make more food from scratch.  This includes our meals but also snacks.  I love that I can whip up some tasty, easy and delicious treats made with real, simple ingredients.  As I'm going through the grocery store and checking out labels, it's getting to the point where I don't want to buy any of the "convience foods" because of their ingredients.  High Fructose Corn Syrup, despite the recent media attention, is still everywhere.  One simple snack I've been making recently is one that I came up with because we were out of our usual "energy snack" ingredients (peanut butter, honey, etc.)  This recipe is so simple, I make it a lot and the girls love the sweet maple flavor!

 
1 & 1/2 cups oats
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup coconut
(any other add ins you like - chocolate chips, rasins, chopped nuts and dried cranberries work well)
 
Over low-medium heat, melt butter, maple syrup and vanilla.  Stirring to ensure it's well blended. 
In a seperate bowl, combine oats and coconut.  Once the butter/maple is well blended, simply pour it over your oatmeal mixture and stir until it's well blended.  Lightly spray a cooking pan to prevent sticking and press your oat mixture down into the pan. 
In a preheated 350 degree oven, bake your oatmeal bars for 15-20 minutes or until the edges are slightly browned.  Slice into bars or squares and enjoy. 
 
We go through a lot of these, they are suitable for snacks, even breakfast!  They go quickly though so I tend to double the recipe. 
 
I hope you are all making some treats for your sweets in anticipation of the weekend!  Looks like the perfect Fall one here on the East Coast!
 
See you Monday!

Comments

  1. These look really good! Will have to try them. I might try using the coconut oil I have instead of butter...and honey instead of maple syrup - since we don't have any maple syrup :-) So I will change the name to honey coconut oat bars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks so yummy!! New fan from Mommy's Mingle.. hope you'll check out my blog!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts