Spring Windowsill Garden: Baby Steps!

If you live in New England, you'll likely agree that we've had one heck of a Winter.  It's been cold, snowy and long!  So, it's no surprise that when the temperatures inched up into the 40's, we were all celebrating.  It must look ridiculous to others, used to a warmer weather climate.  You drive down the road and every other car has their windows open, people are out running, biking, walking and SMILING.  Seriously!  Smiles!   I would be lying if I told you that this Winter has me greeting big smiles when are running to the grocery store to buy our bread, our milk....wait, we don't even drink milk.  Make that almond milk.
 
I decided it was time to get some fresh herbs started.  I simply transplanted my rosemary to a bright pot, added my very favorite herb, basil and lavender.  So far, they are very happy in their sunny window.  When the temperatures warm up, they'll relocate outdoors.  Next week I'm hoping to start arugula, spinach and lettuce in windowsill gardens.  I'm hoping the seed gardens will prosper, I've seen other blogs and websites and it sounds like those vegetables thrive in a cooler spot and do well in a sunny window.  Of course, my girls are very excited to trim the salad vegetables and give them little haircuts.  I'll be writing more about their progress as the days pass on by.  Have you done windowsill gardens?  I would love to hear your tips and how they've worked out for you.  Next up:  a real outside garden!  It won't be long now!
 
Bring on Spring!

Comments

  1. If my windowsills were deeper I would definitely have plants in every window :-) As for now, I keep starting seeds and putting them under my lights. Hoping and praying this snow melts quickly so that I can get outside and working on the real garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get good enough sunlight to grow herbs in my windowsill, so I have to wait to plant them outside. Yours look so cute! I love the pots. I know you guys have had a horrible winter, so spring will be extra sweet this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Envious! I don't get enough sunlight either. I do some container gardening on my porch once the temps get warm enough. Enjoy your herbs and share updates!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to grow a windowsill garden, but have never had the right lighting or set up. Thanks for visiting my blog today. I'm now following.

    By the way, 40s would be freezing to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your plants look great! I have a knack or killing all indoor plants.... :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts