Unexpected Gifts

I was pretty excited last week when I came home to an unexpected gift at my door!  My friend, Holly had dropped off a load of delicious gems from her garden!  My canning last Summer included salsa - and only salsa.  So, getting a taste of Summer was absolutely wonderful after this long Winter!  Included was a jar of her husband's delicious garden pasta sauce, fresh salsa and some treats from Above the Dam Jam (if you haven't checked out her blog it's a great read!) that included strawberry rubarb jam and chocolate raspberry sauce.  Yes, decadent but perfect to serve over ice cream to celebrate a special occasion or just when you need a chocolate fix! 
 
The maple syrup was purchased after we visited a local farm and learned all about how maple syrup is made.  If you live in New England, you may be familiar with Open Farm Days or Maple Weekends.  We spent some time a couple of weeks ago and visited a farm we had yet to see and learned all about the maple syrup process from tree to container.  We also got to visit turkeys, chickens, horses, a cow and lamb.  Our day was sunny and cold but a wonderful way to spend the day - outside and just taking a trip with the family.  Lots of laughs and fun and memories that I hope my daughters will remember for a long time. 
 
Unexpected gifts are everywhere.  Take them all in - or  you may miss out!

Comments

  1. Yum! Most of my preserved stuff is gone at this point, and I am now trying to figure out all that I need to can for next year! I want to do more jams and jellies this year, and sauces...rhubarb is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are the best kind of gifts! I have been getting similar boxes from my mom's canning stash all winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, those gifts sound delicious! I absolutely love it when people give me items they canned themselves. It's so special!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post, Jess. Those are great gifts, and that is a great reminder - to give the gifts and to find them!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts