Each week, I make either muffins or bread so that we have snacks made from scratch that are yummy and relatively healthy. I feel so much better about giving the family homeade snacks. I recently reviewed Catherine McCord's latest book, Weelicious Lunches. I am constantly pulling out both the Weelicious Cookbooks, which are full of delicious healthy recipes, inspiration and beautiful photographs. This past week, I pulled up the Apple Applesauce Muffin recipe that was featured over on Weelcious. They are full of flavor and are the perfect Fall muffin! These muffins also have no oil or refined sugar so they were a BIG hit for me as well! I modified this recipe so that it's dairy free too!
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup rice milk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cups peeled and chopped apples (about 2 medium apples)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the applesauce, buttermilk, honey, egg, and vanilla.
4. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in the apples.
5. Pour batter into greased muffin cups, about 3/4 full and bake 20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Linking up today over at Townsend House! Come share what you're eating too!