IKEA Soft Toys for Education Campaign


For those of you with children, how is this school year been going for you? Whether you homeschool, send your kids to private school or to public school, education is at the forefront of so many of our lives.  I think the reason I have so much anxiety when the new school year arrives is because it's so important to get started on the right foot, to foster a love of learning at an early age and to remember that education leads to wonderful opportunities!  

We have been so lucky this year to have been placed with some special teachers who go above and beyond every. single. day for the sake of their students...for the sake of my children.  I honestly don't know how they do it.  I volunteer weekly and am exhausted when I leave at the end of my three hour visit.  How they get up every day, with energy, ready to educate, to inspire and to teach.  We are so lucky to be part of our community and involved in a school with teachers who truly value their students and foster a wonderful learning environment.  I think a good teacher can make learning fun but a GREAT teacher can make learning extraordinary!  Last year, my daughter was so inspired by her 4th grade teacher that she evolved into an advanced reader with a true love of books and reading.  She began to expand her reading library and yearn to read more stories about adventure, about interesting characters and an exciting plot.  Last year was the year I watched as my daughter learned to truly love reading.  This year, I'm amazed to see how strong my girl is in Math.  She loves it.  She's mastered long division and fractions and everything in between.  She's inspired and encouraged by her teachers.  The right teacher makes all the difference!
What if your child didn't have access to a quality education?  Can you imagine? I hope that none of us every have to and I hope that all children have wonderful teachers who encourage, inspired and foster that love of learning.  
The IKEA Foundation aims to improve opportunities for children in some of the world's poorest communities by funding holistic, long-term programs that can create substantial and lasting change.  Their Soft Toy's for Education program focuses on the Impact of Education and the fact that education transforms lives.

  • IKEA knows that this is the most impactful way to help children escape poverty; this change to their lives is immense. Because education has a direct impact on well-being, from better health to increased opportunities. It gives children knowledge skills and confidence they need to shape a better future for themselves.
  • When a child begins – and stays in school, he or she not only changes the course of their own life, but that of future generations.
  • For every soft toy and children's book sold at IKEA between November 9, 2014 and January 3, 2015, the IKEA Foundation will donate $1 to children's education through UNICEF and Save the Children!
  • Since 2003, more than 11 million children have been impacted through 99 projects in 46 countries.
  • Last year, the IKEA Foundation raised $13.6 million and over $1 million was raised in the US. This year, they will probably go over $100 million in total contributions since 2003!
  • The IKEA Foundation is the largest global corporate donor to Save the Children and UNICEF, funding projects that include helping to improve children's education.
  • The donations will help UNICEF and Save the Children train teachers in child-friendly teaching methods, improve child protection systems, supply educational materials in the schools, help rebuild schools, provide better water and toilet facilities, and increase school attendance rates.
  • There are five new heroes soft toys this year, and there will be a contest for children to create their own soft toy.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.

Comments

  1. I am playing catch up on your posts since I was out of town. I absolutely love Ikea. I go there almost once a week with my husband for breakfast. I love what they are doing for kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I do too and I think it's fabulous they are investing in education!

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful program. I wish I had an Ikea closer to me so I could visit them!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts