Garden Goodness


It's been a while since I've reported on the state of our garden. I'm happy to say things are going very well this year! Last year the garden wasn't as prosperous so we spent a little extra time researching the right way to go about it this year.  We've been getting a steady supply of zucchini for a couple of weeks and squash came in right behind it. I know some people get overrun with zucchini but so far we've been able to happily consume it and use it without issue. Of course we have gifted some to family and friends here and there. The girls also have absolutely loved getting fresh green beans, yellow beans and purple beans this year! The heirloom purple variety we got is called Dragon's Tongue and it's absolutely delicious, slightly sweeter and very crunchy. They get handfuls of beans for salads and snacking but the general consensus is that their best enjoyed after a long walk or bike ride. Nothing like fresh beans!
Our herbs continue to flourish, we have more then we know what to do with - basil, oregano, parsley and chives.  I do wish I remembered to plant cilantro, (typically a staple) but for some reason I forgot it this year. There is nothing like a delicious salad with a variety of garden fresh herbs!
Our peppers, cucumbers, eggplant and onions are healthy and doing very well. This is the first year we've attempted eggplant and I'm happy to say we should have some delicious eggplant dishes in our future! The tomatoes are overrunning the garden at this point - no complaints here! We've gotten a couple pints of orange bush and cherry tomatoes so far that the girls absolutely love. There really is nothing like garden fresh produce!
What I love about gardening is it really encourages not love of healthy eating, getting back to the basics, what's fresh and real. There's real power and a wonderful sense of accomplishment in growing your own food!
How are things growing in your garden this year? 

Comments

  1. Your garden is looking fantastic this year! I always enjoy green beans grown in the garden. I didn't plant a veggie garden this year but I hope to have one next year if all goes to plan!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    You are so right about the feeling of growing your own food. I love how your girls are so into gardening as well. FUN!!
    We love to eat green, yellow and purple beans the same as you. My boys love them for a snack.
    Please share your eggplant recipes when you have time. I would love to know how you fix yours.
    Have a great week!!
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your garden updates, although I admit it always makes me a little jealous at the same time ;) I love gardening and the benefits of it so much. it all looks like it's coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did we both manage to forget cilantro? Shame on us, lol! Your veggies look fantastic, I am so glad your garden is doing well. I agree with you on healthy eating, it's so easy right now! And the grocery bill is so low!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden looks so healthy! We've had mixed luck with ours. We've gotten tons of tomatoes and a few peppers, the herbs did well but not so much anymore. I think I'm over it! :) We got one great zucchini but that's it on the squash front. We didn't plant cilantro either but that was because we couldn't find it. I wonder if that's what happened to you guys too? My MIL didn't find any either.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts