The Next Chapter

We are quickly closing in on our last Summer vacation day, this is it! Here in the Northeast, my kids start school tomorrow. I always seem to have the same emotions running through my head this time of year. It's bittersweet. Of course I'm excited for them to start a new year, when I think about how much they accomplish over the course of the school year, it's pretty amazing and always filled with great things. I also have a part of me feels particularly nostalgic about a new school year, thinking back on years past, thinking back to a simpler time when my girls were with me all day long starting preschool, or entering kindergarten.  Sometimes it's hard to believe that those days are passed us. I know some others are excited about a new school year, a new routine and getting back on schedule. I get that but I'd be lying if I told you I was one of those mothers. I think about the glorious summer we've had and I honestly wonder how these past weeks could have flown by at this speed! Do I wish I could spend another endless day at the beach? Absolutely, but reality has set in and I know tomorrow morning will be the start of the next chapter.
This year Sydney starts second grade. She feels particularly proud not to be one of the "little kids" anymore. She's most looking forward to going into her old kindergarten room and reading to the class, something she had the opportunity to do last year and loved it. She's also excited to harvest those vegetables they planted this past Spring. It's wonderful to see her stepping out on her own and thriving. She loves her school, and her friends so we are hopeful it will be a wonderful year! Riley starts sixth grade this year, not sure how that happened but there you have it! They start middle school in fifth-grade here so last year was a more difficult time, with a new school and lots of new faces.  Im relieved that she feels more confident, relaxed and excited to go back. Her locker is ready, we have all the supplies, she's met her teachers and made connections with friends. Now we're just waiting for the first day.

That being said, we are heading back to school today so we can officially meet Sydney's teacher and bring a pasta salad for the welcome back teacher luncheon.  My hope for the afternoon is that it will be relaxed and stress-free. Tomorrow is the big day, I'm not sure I am ready but happy to say they are!

Comments

  1. That is so great that they really enjoy school and are doing so well. Thats really cool that they have the older kids read to the younger ones. I have never heard of that activity, but it sounds neat! By the way I can totally see why you would be emotional about all of it. It really is an emotional time of year. I hope the first day goes great for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that the older kids are reading buddies! It's good for both ages and really gave Sydney confidence. She even went in and read to her old kindergarten so that was exciting!

      Delete
  2. It's always a bittersweet time! It's good to hear they are so excited about the new school year. We still have another week...it seems so late now that everyone else is going back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I do understand the emotion you are feeling. I am too. :-) My boys are growing up so fast. I am thankful for the friendship we have made with our boys too. Now that they are older, it is great they still like to come and talk to us, confide in us. I do pray it stays that way.
    xx oo
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like an amazing and strong relationship Carla. Very special ❤️

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts