Lightened Up Chipotle Coleslaw Recipe

As the weather starts to get warmer, I start looking ahead to spending more time outside. The perfect weekend  includes working in the garden, going for a long walk and watching my kids ride bikes and play outside. I love to create an outdoor space for entertaining and enjoying. The more outside time, the better! 

A big part of spending time outside includes making delicious foods, growing and enjoying it all on the deck. One beloved recipe I've made over the years is chipotle coleslaw. My dear friend shared the recipe with me years ago and although mine will never be as tasty as hers, we do love it served as a side with grilled chicken and veggies. It's absolutely a staple here on our 4th of July menu and through the warm summer days.

I decided to create a lightened up version last week because I didn't have any sour cream on hand and wanted to see if it was as tasty sans
mayo and sour cream. It wasn't quite as tasty but still yummy and flavorful, and a great side dish for summer potlucks and picnics. The heat and flavor of this recipe is still intact but the fat is not! During swimsuit and shorts season, I'm okay with sacrificing the fat! 
Lightened Up Chipotle Coleslaw
Ingredients
  • 1 cup nonfat Greek Yogurt 
  • 3 tablespoons apple cidar vinegar
  • 1  small canned chipotle chile, minced, plus 2 tsp. adobo sauce from the can (I use fresh)
  • About 1 tsp. kosher salt
  • 6  cups  each packed shredded green and red cabbage
  • 7  green onions, green and pale green portions, sliced into thin rounds
  • 1  cup  tightly packed chopped fresh cilantro leaves 
Directions
  1. Prepare the dressing - in a medium bowl, stir together greek yogurt, vinegar, minced chile, adobo sauce and 1 tsp salt
  2. In a large bowl
  3. In a large bowl, toss together cabbage, green onions, and 3/4 cup chopped cilantro. Pour dressing over vegetables, toss well, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours. Before serving, add more salt if you like and scatter remaining 1/4 cup chopped cilantro over the top.
This is hands down the #1 recipe that I am looking forward to the most this Summer.  Give it a try...but keep a tall glass of ice water (or your favorite beverage) on hand, it's SPICY! 

Comments

  1. Oh yum! This sounds like my kind of salad!! I'm ready for more outside enjoyment, if the rain would just let up!! It's sunny right now but we're due for more rain tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's going to be getting warm! It's 87 here today - what?!

      Delete
  2. What a nice summer dish. Super healthy and delicious at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If our cabbage grows as plentiful as last year, I will be trying this. I know with the chipotle and cilantro flavors, it will be a favorite of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pinning! Looks yummy and I love coleslaw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh, this looks so good! Coleslaw is a big hit in my family, even my 4 year old adores it. I'll have to try this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts