The Magic of A Cookie and a Recipe

There's something so comforting about making a batch of homemade cookies. Sometimes when things get too crazy and we've been running around all week, making an old-school batch of cookies is strangely satisfying to me. I love the smell of cookies baking and then of course, who could deny a delicious, warm, freshly baked cookie? 
So let me tell you a little bit about middle school, do you remember it? I do, that time when you start to feel a little more grown-up but not quite independent. The time when you start pushing some boundaries, feeling emotional, rolling your eyes more, having a bit more drama...and just when you've got some of that under control boys start creeping into the picture. My daughter is in 7th grade and with two years of middle school under her belt (yes we start in 5th grade here), it's hilarious when she's referring to the "younger kids". Let's be real here, there's a bit of satisfaction knowing you've gone through those first years, now part of the upper grade hierarchy. It's always amazing to see how much children change during these years. Lately, I watch her carrying herself more confidently and maturely. I'm happy to report she has a solid group of friends who look out for one another. She has a good group of teachers who seem to be well suited for middle school aged kids, encouraging them to use their knowledge and intuition. Still, I rarely hear people speaking positively about their middle school years. It's a time when you really start to separate yourself from your parents and get more embedded with your own social circle, increased academic demands, sports and just a general feeling of more pressure. Which brings me back to the simple comfort of your mom baking a batch of cookies, sometimes it's something insignificant that encourages that much needed connection. A warm treat and a good mother/daughter talk, and that "safe place" where she knows she really can be herself, open up and share what's going on in her life.   

A lot of my favorite old-school cookie recipes have a high refined sugar content. I set out on a mission to make a healthier batch of cookies and was pleased with the results. This one uses maple sugar as the primary sweetener and the result was a delicious, moist, health(ier) cookie. 
Magical Everything Cookies 
Ingredients
  • 1 cup of rolled oats 
  • 3/4 cup oat flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 tbsp unsalted butter (I use dairy free)
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 1/8 cup pumpkin seeds
  • 1/8 cup dark chocolate chips
Directions
  1. Whisk together the oats, flour, baking powder and cinnamon in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the butter, egg and vanilla. Stir in the maple syrup. Add the flour/oat mixture and then fold in the pumpkin seeds, raisins and chocolate chips. 
  2. Preheat oven to 325 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
  3. Drop the cookie by tablespoon onto the sheet and using the back of your spoon, flatten a bit. Bake at 325 degrees for 14-16 minutes. Cool on the pan for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack. 
  4. Enjoy!
Have a wonderful Monday!
- Jessica

Comments

  1. It is getting to be "cookie time", isn't it!! They make the house smell so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not going to lie, when I first looked at the ingredients picture I thought you put chili powder in the cookie! Clearly I have been making too many mexican dishes lately :-) Glad to know that Riley is surviving and thriving in the mid-years! I have sufficiently blocked mine out ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny! Trader Joes cinnamon! But maybe a tad of cayenne would give them a kick! ;)

      Delete
  3. Cookies do make the house smell so homey! These sounds like a delicious alternative to old school oatmeal cookies with the pumpkin seeds and dark chocolate. Yum! You're really tuned in to the middle school years. I agree about the teachers being suited for the job (some are, some aren't but luckily most of ours were too!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a good mom :)
    Your cookies sound wonderful! I made a similar batch yesterday for my husbands big road trip. Mine weren't nearly as healthy though! I've never added pumpkin seeds to a cookie, need to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boy, 7th grade! Those middle school years can be tough. Good thing she's got a mom like you with sage advice and these cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a work in progress but anything to encourage communication :)

      Delete
  6. I pinned the cookie recipe.
    I too like to do the same. I will make the boys a favorite treat and we like to drink hot chocolate anytime of the year to have a nice chat. You are right, it is so important to keep communication open. It can be late at night (for me, 9:30pm is late Ha!) but I will sit and listen to my boys about anything troubling them.
    Great post my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a great Mom Carla! And yes, 9:30 is late for me too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts